28 december 2020
1) On 24 November Bolat Mynbayev, Director, Head of Strategy and Operations, and Konstantin Aushev, Director, Head of IT Advisory in KPMG in Kazakhstan and Central Asia, took the floor in Virtual Fintech Conference organised by the Department for International Trade of the British Embassy for the UK fintech community.
The experts presented an overview of the fintech market development in Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, in particular:
The full report in English can be found at: https://bit.ly/39AIxK6
Recording of the presentation in Russian: https://bit.ly/3oC3U1E
Recording of the presentation in English: https://bit.ly/2LmtgT1
2) On 3 December, British-Kazakh Society held a virtual event devoted to Financial Services in Kazakhstan. The webinar was moderated by Rashid Gaissin, Head of Legal Practice, KPMG in Kazakhstan and Central Asia and speakers were from Astana International Financial Centre, AIFC – Business Connect, Astana International Exchange, TheCityUK, National Bank of Kazakhstan and London Stock Exchange. The event was dedicated specifically to the financial services sector, and was of special interest for the audience whose activities are related to finance and investment. The background information on financial services was provided with relation to Kazakhstan and the United Kingdom.
The video is available at https://bit.ly/3n1rpRG
3) On 8 December, a webinar devoted to relevant amendments to the Tax Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan and certain issues related to determining customs fees was held by KPMG Tax and Legal experts in Kazakhstan and Central Asia. The meeting was moderated by Vyacheslav Sosnovskiy, Director, Tax and Legal. The speakers at the webinar were Senior Manager Tatiana Novikova, Managers Mariyam Mukhanova and Alven Uzykanov, Senior Consultants Ruslan Zaiko and Almat Zhukebayev. During the webinar, the experts told about the latest amendments to the Tax Code of the RK adopted by the Parliament of the RK, related to tax administration issues, corporate income tax, value added tax, and discussed the topical practical issues of how a customs value of imported goods may be determined.
Over 150 participants from different companies across Kazakhstan joined the webinar.
We thank all participants of the webinar!
4) On 11 December KPMG held a webinar, where taxation issues relevant to companies operating in oil and gas sector were covered. During the online meeting, the specialists of KPMG Tax and Legal -- Tatyana Rogachyova, Director, and Temirlan Yementayev, Manager, -- spoke about the most topical taxation matters. The experts addressed in-house audit and invalidation of transactions and gave a short overview of most common mistakes made with these issues.
Webinar recording is available at: https://bit.ly/2WfPBnr
5) On 11 December KPMG took part in an online roadshow of the pilot concession project “Construction and Operation of a University Hospital for 300 Beds in Almaty”. The project was initiated by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the Ministry of Healthcare of the Republic of Kazakhstan. KPMG has been engaged in the project as a Lead Consultant and Financial Advisor with the lead of Arman Akhanov, Director, Deal & Advisory. During the roadshow, Arman made a presentation on the project, where he outlined the project’s financial structure and described key investment parameters. After the main part of the roadshow, attendees had an opportunity to meet international investors at individual sessions where KPMG and the EBRD together answered their questions.
The online roadshow recording is available here https://bit.ly/38693bS
6) KPMG in Kazakhstan and Central Asia, Samruk-Kazyna, Astana Financial Services Authority (AIFC) and Clifford Chance held a joint virtual event on the recent developments regarding market access and investment opportunities in Kazakhstan.
During the event the experts spoke about recent developments in the AIFC secondary market – sell- and buy-side perspective, the international perspective on improving market access, outlook for Kazakhstan over the next 5 years and legal aspects of investment in mining sector in Kazakhstan.
We would like to thank the webinar speakers and moderator Monica Sah, Partner, Financial Regulatory Group, Clifford Chance: